- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MB, BCH), University College Cork, 2000.
- PhD, University College Cork 2013.
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians in Ireland, 2003.
- Masters in Sports & Exercise Medicine (UCC), 2003 MmedSc (Sports & Exercise).
- Sports Medicine Fellow, Cork University Hospital, 2004–2007.
- Clinical/Research Fellowship (Sports Medicine), Olympic Park Sports Medicine Centre, Melbourne, Australia and Centre for Health Exercise & Sports Medicine, University of Melbourne, Melbourne Australia 2007–2008.
- Fellowship Faculty of Sports & Exercise Medicine 2009.
- Director of Sports & Exercise Medicine, Sports Surgery Clinic 2008 to present.
- Team Doctor Irish Senior Rugby Team 2009–2015.
- Team Doctor Irish Amateur Boxing Association High Performance Unit 2009–2016.
- Research Fellow - Centre for Health Exercise & Sports medicine, University of Melbourne 2007.
- Senior Lecturer Sports & Exercise Medicine, University College Cork.
- Current research interests include: the biomechanics of groin pain, the use of PRP in acute tendon injury, the role of gut microbiota in athlete health and performance and exercise induced asthma, inflammatory changes in elite athletes.
- Professional interests include chronic groin pain, tendon injury, lower limb overuse injury, performance and injury prevention in elite team sport.
- Lions tour to Australia 2013.
- Munster Rugby Senior Squad 2003–2007.
- Ireland ‘A’ Senior Rugby Team; Barclay’s Churchill Cup 2008.
- Australian team medical officer: World Summer University Games 2007.
- Geelong Cats, VFL team doctor 2007.
- Ireland U-21 Rugby Team; World Championships 2005, 2006.
- Cloyne Senior Hurling Team 2000 – present.
- International Superheavyweight Boxer.
- National Senior Superheavyweight Champion 2002.
- National Intermediate Heavyweight Champion 1997.
- Superheavyweight representative for Ireland at AIBA World Senior Championships 2001.
- Sports Scholarship Recipient, University College Cork, 1997–1999.
Books and Book chapters
- Author: Clinical Sports Anatomy, McGraw-Hill 2011.
- The IOC Manual of Emergency Sports Care: Management of potential neck and spinal injuries – E Falvey, C Roberts. Wiley-Blackwell – publication in 2014.
- The IOC Manual of Sports Injuries: An Illustrated Guide to the Management of Injuries in Physical Activity. Chapter 10 Pelvis, Groin, and Hips (pages 293–338) Marc J. Philippon, Éanna Falvey, Geoffrey M. Verrall and Karen K. Briggs. Wiley-Blackwell 2012.
- Sports Emergencies – Management Scenarios – Chapter 21, 22 Player assessment, event assessment – E Falvey, C McCarthy. Churchill Livingstone 200.
- FIMS Sports Medicine Manual: Event Planning and Emergency Care 2010 – Section 14.14, Rugby Union. M G Molloy, E Falvey. Springhouse Publications 2011.
Peer reviewed Publications
Falvey ÉC, McCrory P. Because not all blows to the head are the same. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2015 Sep; 49 (17): 1091–3.
King E, Ward J, Small L, Falvey E, Franklyn-Miller A. Athletic groin pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis of surgical versus physical therapy rehabilitation outcomes. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2015 Jun 30.
Undheim MB, Cosgrave C, King E, Strike S, Marshall B, Falvey É, Franklyn-Miller A. Isokinetic muscle strength and readiness to return to sport following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: is there an association? A systematic review and a protocol recommendation. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2015 Jun 23.
Marshall BM, Franklyn-Miller AD, Moran KA, King EA, Strike SC, Falvey ÉC. Can a Single-legged Squat Provide Insight into Movement Control and Loading During Dynamic Sporting Actions in Athletic Groin Pain Patients? J Sport Rehabil. 2015 May 6.
Breen DT, Foster J, Falvey E, Franklyn-Miller A. Gait re-training to alleviate the symptoms of anterior exertional lower leg pain: a case series. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2015 Feb;10 (1): 85–94.
Clarke SF, Murphy EF, O'Sullivan O, Lucey AJ, Humphreys M, Hogan A, Hayes P, O'Reilly M, Jeffery IB, Wood-Martin R, Kerins DM, Quigley E, Ross RP, O'Toole PW, Molloy MG, Falvey E, Shanahan F, Cotter PD. Exercise and associated dietary extremes impact on gut microbial diversity. Gut. 2014 Dec; 63 (12): 1913–20.
Marshall BM, Franklyn-Miller AD, King EA, Moran KA, Strike SC, Falvey EC. Biomechanical factors associated with time to complete a change of direction cutting maneuver. J Strength Cond Res. 2014 Mar 20.
Falvey E, McCrory P, Crowley B, Kelleher A, Eustace J, Shanahan F, Molloy MG. Risk factors for hand injury in hurling: a cross-sectional study. BMJ Open. 2013 May 28; 3 (5).
McCrory P, Falvey É, Turner M. Returning to the golden age of boxing. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2012 Jun; 46 (7): 459–60.
Crowley J, Jordan J, Falvey E. A comparison of Gaelic football injuries in males and females in primary care. Ir Med J. 2011 Oct; 104 (9): 268–70.
Falvey EC, McCarthy, C, O’Connor, T M, Shanahan, F, Molloy, M G, Plant, B J. Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction (EIB) and asthma after field-testing in an International Rugby Union Team. Thorax. 2010 Sep; 65 (9): 843–4.
Shanthikumar S, Low Z, Falvey E, McCrory P, Franklyn-Miller A. The effect of gait velocity on calcaneal balance at heel strike; Implications for orthotic prescription in injury prevention. Gait Posture. 2010 Jan; 31 (1): 9–12.
Field S, Falvey E, Barry J, Bourke J. Type 1 hypersensitivity reaction to carboxymethylcellulose following intra-articular triamcinolone injection. Contact Dermatitis. 2009 Nov;61(5):302-3.
Franklyn-Miller AD, Falvey EC, McCrory PR. Patient-based not problem-based learning: an Oslerian approach to clinical skills, looking back to move forward. J Postgrad Med. 2009 Jul-Sep; 55 (3): 198–203.
RA Clark, A Franklyn-Miller, E Falvey, A L Bryant, S Barthold, P McCrory. Assessment of mechanical strain in the intact plantar fascia. The Foot, 2009 Sep; 19 (3): 161–4.
E Falvey, A Franklyn-Miller, R Clarke, A Bryant, P McCrory. Iliotibial band syndrome: an examination of the evidence behind a number of treatment options. Scand J Med Sci Sport. 2010 Aug; 20 (4): 580–7.
A Franklyn-Miller, E Falvey, P McCrory. Time to Wind Back the Clock? The Surgeon, 2009 April Vol 7 (2) 130-32.
R Delaney, E Falvey, S Kalimuthu, MG Molloy, P Fleming. Orthopaedic Admissions due to Sports and Recreation Injuries. Ir Med J, February 2009 Vol 102 (2).
E Falvey, J Eustace, B Whelan, MS Molloy, S Cusack, F Shanahan, MG Molloy. Sport- and Recreation-related injuries and fracture occurrence amongst Emergency Department Attendees: implications for exercise prescription and injury prevention. Emerg Med J. 2009 Aug; 26 (8): 590–5.
A Franklyn-Miller, E Falvey, P McCrory. Landmarks for the 3G approach: groin, gluteal and greater trochanter triangles – A patho-anatomical method in Sports Medicine. European Journal of Anatomy 2008 Vol 12 (2).
E Falvey, A Frankly-Miller, P McCrory. The greater trochanter triangle: a patho-anatomic approach to the diagnosis of chronic, proximal, lateral, lower limb pain in athletes. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2009 Feb; 43 (2): 146–52.
Falvey EC, Franklyn-Miller A, McCrory P. A 3G approach to a 3 dimensional problem. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2009 Feb; 43 (2): 143.
A Franklyn-Miller, É Falvey, P McCrory. Fasciitis before tendinopathy: Does the anatomy hold the key? British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2009 Dec; 43 (12): 887–9.
EC Falvey, A Frankly-Miller, P McCrory. The groin triangle; a patho-anatomic approach to the diagnosis of chronic groin pain in athletes. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2009 Mar; 43 (3): 213–20.
C Bradshaw, M Bundy, É Falvey. The diagnosis of long-standing groin pain – a prospective clinical cohort study. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2008 Oct; 42 (10): 851–4.
A Franklyn-Miller, É Falvey, P McCrory. The Gluteal Triangle: A clinical patho-anatomical approach to understanding gluteal pain in athletes. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2009 Jun; 43 (6): 460–
A Franklyn-Miller, É Falvey, P McCrory. Problem-based learning in sports medicine: the way forward or a backward step. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 2007 Oct; 41 (10): 623–4.